Friday, October 1, 2010

It's that time.

I've reached the point where the need to write something, anything, has overtaken me...thus here we are.  Now finished with school I've now been set loose into the world with a BA in English and student loan debt.  Life is good.


Word of advise to high school students....the phrase "get a degree and you'll make tons of money," is not true; don't believe the hype.  In reality it does matter what degree you get, and you'll probably have to decide at some point in life whether or not you want to spend your college days studying something you love or studying something that will one day bring home the bacon.  Or you might be one of those rare people whose line of studying will lead to a wealthier lifestyle.  Kudos to you my friend.  I chose to study something I love: English.  I love everything about English. The fact that our grammar rules are crazy, that one word can mean something completely different to every single person, and that two people can read the same piece of literature and get completely different things from it drives me crazy wild about English

Will an English degree lead me to a lifestyle where I can bath in imported water and and have a mansion made of gold and chocolate?  Probably not.  But I can buy a jar of olives, a good book, a piece of paper and a pencil....and that's good enough for me.

2 comments:

  1. So wonderful that you are writing again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love. And, yes, isn't is remarkable how one word can take on so many different connotations? To one, it might mean everything; to another, have little or no true meaning at all. And, who is to judge which is right? Perhaps experience is the teacher that lends itself to defining not only ourselves, but everything around us. Too often it seems I come into contact with this truth. Keep following your passion, Jenna. If you end up living in a cardboard box on a street somewhere, hopefully I will be your neighbor. One day we will eat chocolate and be introduced to perfection and see our wildest dreams realized. Until then, write on...

    ReplyDelete