Last night as I stood with some of my family in the ICU waiting room and listened to our voices reaching out to God for healing I was filled with happiness and love. Despite everything around me--not one dark thought was able to enter my mind.
Afterward while we talked about how my uncle has a family filled with fierce love for one another, my uncle Glenn said something that has stuck with me:
(for reference purposes, my uncle Glenn is married into the family. As is my uncle Mike.)
"This family loves one another. It's shocking. When I first met this family I was shocked by the amount of people who said 'I love you' to another and how many hugs were exchanged. It took time for me to get used to it. My family didn't do that. This family says it every chance they get. And that's special."
I tell people I love them as often as possible, including my close friends. It's natural. It's normal. I need them to know. I want them to know. But as I've gotten older I have noticed that it throws people for a shock. I dated someone once whose family hardly ever exchanging hugs, compliments, or much less "I love you." They just didn't do it.
I don't know how many families and friends exchange these words on a daily basis. Of course, just saying them isn't enough--you have to mean it. I know that my family loves me without pause. I have floods of memories with my family that are entrenched with love. And when I speak to my family and see them, I am 100% happier than I was the moment before.
In that room last night, I felt God's spirit as well as the weight of a family's love in the room. And it's because of that feeling, because of the knowledge that my family's love is true that I know these present circumstances will not stop us. We will continue fighting. My uncle Mike will continue fighting. For his family. For Kelley. For Katie. For Lauren. And for his wife, my aunt Sandra. We don't know why things are what they are--but I pray that we can show the hospital and others that our love for one another is unwavering. And that our love derives from our relationship with Christ. And that it is because of Him that we will survive this.
No comments:
Post a Comment