Saturday, May 19, 2012

Meatless May...Day 19

Over halfway done with Meatless May! (and two weeks till I leave for Hong Kong!)  

So far it really hasn't been that bad.  The first week and a half I really missed meat and stressed about every meal--"What in the world am I going to eat?"  "I am soooo hungry."  "I want Chic-fil-a RIGHT NOW."  But I've overcome the hump it seems and I'm feeling pretty awesome--lots of energy, none of that heavy feeling after eating.  I have very rarely eaten rice or pasta and I've worked hard to make every meal mostly vegetables.  An odd observation that I've made is that I have zero cravings for anything.  The notion of eating to live has taken place over my old one of living to eat I suppose and therefore--no real cravings.  (Except that I'm currently watching people on TV eat take-out Chinese food and the allure of steamed dumplings is hard to ignore)

Here are some more pictures from experiment:


Brown rice with broccoli and asparagus (asparagus is great on anything...especially if you drizzle olive oil on it and roast it)





I tried a veggie burger at Remington Grill and didn't care for it.  It was thin and spongy.  Not to knock on Remington Grill--I love everything else I've ever had there and was surprised they even offered a veggie burger so I'm now holding it against them.  I also tried a veggie burger at Carolina Ale House and it was AH-mazing.

This one is pretty original in my opinion---mashed sweet potatoes, black beans, and guacamole quesadilla (Although I guess it's not technically a quesadilla considering there wasn't any cheese).  Experimenting with tortillas is always fun and this turned out well.


I bought a huge container of diced sweet potatoes and it's been fun figuring out what to do with them other than make a casserole.  One night I threw them in the oven and roasted them after sprinkled oregano and olive oil on them and ate then with a scrambled egg---sooooo good. 








Tonight I'm gearing up for a veggie stuffed red pepper--let's see what happens!












No comments:

Post a Comment