Thursday, May 31, 2012

Meatless May...Last Day

Well, here I am.  May 31.  The last day of Meatless May.  I'll admit it--I'm sort of sad.  I've really enjoyed pushing myself to create new meals and finding ways to maneuver around the meat based meals at family gatherings and most restaurants.  So at the end of the month what pros and cons have I found?

Pros
-I hardly ever feel guilty after I eat.  I load most of my meals with green vegetables--what's to feel guilty about?  (There were a handful of unhealthy meals thrown in but hey--life isn't perfect.)
-More energy.  I'm usually sluggish most of the time; I often feel just plain exhausted.  But this month that hasn't been the case.  I've even had the energy to go to the gym almost everyday this month.
-Every dish is so colorful!  It feel fantastic to sit down with a plate bursting with color in front of me versus a plate of khaki.

Cons
-Eating a somewhat healthy meal at a restaurant is almost impossible.  If you're going with other people and it's not somewhere that is known for having vegetarian friendly recipes then you better throw healthy options out the window.  Most places have veggie burgers but with the fries on the side, you really aren't helping yourself.  I went out to eat with my parents one day and my choices were...well...a side salad.  I opted to skip that since I wanted to actually eat something of substance and chose a quesadilla without the chicken.  First of all, they still charged me full price.  Secondly, it had some the greasiest mushrooms I have ever come across.  Thirdly, not healthy considering the amount of cheese and grease that was stuffed inside.     
-Gas.  Enough sad.

I will not continue being a vegetarian but I have decided that I won't be putting meat on my grocery list.  I'll stick to vegetarian meals when cooking and then when I'm with others and there isn't a good veggie option available I'll eat meat.

Hear are some final pictures...and these are actually ended up being my favorite from the week:                   
                           
Stuffed red peppers. (Red peppers stuffed with brown rice, kidney beans, and spinach)














Stuffed Mushrooms
See the full recipe at my brand new food blog :A La Avocado








Delicious tofu tip:  Soak tofu overnight in your favorite dressing and hot sauce and then throw them in your salad the next day. Amazing.











Squash Noodles.  (Watch for the recipe to appear on A La Avocado)













Avocado, sun dried tomatoes, alfalfa sprouts, jalapeno, Parmesan, and sweet chilli sauce on a spinach wrap.   Great lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment