Thursday, May 17, 2012
The Trapped Turtle
I watched this turtle the other day. It was beautiful. Shocking yellow stripes that dazzle in the light. People walked by and stared through the glass at him oooing and ahhhing and commenting on how wonderful it must be for him to live there, in that beautiful aquarium. Safe, well fed, nothing at all to worry about.
But he looked sad. I watched as he swam to the edge of the glass towards me. He followed my finger as I waved it back and forth against his cage. I wondered if he had some insane hope that my finger would magically create a hole that would allow him to escape. To escape the entrapment of a life filled with longing to be something more. A life where he doesn't wake up and face another day of swimming back and forth in the same pattern. A life of adventure.
And why shouldn't he be free? Free to roam the waters of the earth--investigating every stone and every crevice he can find. Riding the waves and currents--feeling the adrenaline pulsing through his veins. He should be given the chance to be who he was meant to be.
Putting away the picture I took of him, I clock back in and stare at my cubicle walls.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment