I tried several new recipes this past week--most of them were made up on the fly and I'm pretty proud of that fact. This past weekend was my biggest challenge in my meatless endeavor: Hot Dog weekend.
I'm fully aware that hot dogs are gross in theory but let us be honest here; hot dogs are amazing. They are cheap, easy, and nostalgic; everyone remembers smothering a hot dog with ketchup during a pool party on a hot summer's day as a kid. As I've gotten older, they've only gotten better. Since the days of holding a hot dog in my wet, chlorine smelling hands at the ripe age of nine I've learned that the hot dog is a canvas for any foodie. Sauerkraut, mustard, jalapenos, cheese, relish, mayonnaise, hot sauce, chili, onions, slaw, tomato slices, pickles, peppers, and let's not forget ketchup.
Needless to say, it took all my energy to turn down hot dogs not once---but twice--this weekend. I attended two hot dog parties this weekend and munched on potato chips and baked beans (sadly picking out the delicious bacon). But I did say no and that is pretty fantastic. (I also attended a taco party and ate a lettuce and tomato taco. It was a very hungry weekend).
To make peace with my angry, hot dog deprived taste buds, I set out to try several new things this week.
I call this chick pea salad. Super easy. Lay out your asparagus on a baking sheet and lightly coat them in olive oil and broil them on low until they look done. Add the grape tomatoes to the baking sheet during the last two minutes. Then you throw the asparagus and tomatoes in a bowl with chick peas and artichoke hearts. Add a little olive oil dressing and you have chick pea salad!
Pizza made by my friend Heather...a smorgasbord of veggies topped with cheese. I've never seen avocado on a pizza before--great addition!
I have no idea what this is. I just threw some red peppers in olive oil and cooked them for a few minutes before adding mushrooms, broccoli, diced tomatoes, and cheese. It was good but sadly not very filling. Perhaps on round two I'll leave out the cheese and add rice.
Jimmy Johns!! Veggie Sandwich on wheat--tomatoes, cucumbers, avocado spread, provolone, peppers, and lettuce
This was my most disappointing meatless meal. Just a simple sushi roll minus the fish. It's just ain't sushi without fish people.





No comments:
Post a Comment